Thursday, March 31, 2011

I'm a Traditional Kinda Girl

I don't apologize for this fact.  I love traditional quilt patterns, applique and reproduction fabrics.    As proof.... here is the latest Barbara Brackman Civil War Block.  I chose to add a pieced handle.

But I gotta tell you.....I am hooked on 15 Minutes Play blocks.  I go in my sewing room to work on my traditional quilts and instead I grab all my scraps and start playing.  Forget 15 Minutes....I play for hours.  I'm running out of scraps.  I rummage through my trash bag taking out bits and pieces that I would have thrown away and now am keeping.


They are not the most beautiful blocks but I love them and they were all made with scraps.  I am going to make a wall hanging consisting of 20 9" blocks in the center, a 1 1/2" inner border of black and an outer border of 6" blocks.   After this I am going to add some appliqued baskets.  I am having so much fun playing with these.  I think they look much better in person.  But you'll have to trust me on that.

I've had this horrible virus for over a week now and until the last couple of days haven't felt up to sewing.  But I did do a lot of dreaming and thinking.  I recently sent a quilt in for auction for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative.  It is up for assignment.  Many of my family members have been afflicted with this.  So I decided to do another.   I made this just a few minutes ago.  It is 7 1/2" x 9 1/2".  A real sweetie.  I have to sandwich it, quilt it and bind it.  

You can click on 15 Minutes play on my blog list and see what every one is doing with their scraps.

On a sad note....I lost my balance yesterday, hit my hand on the fridge and knocked the diamond out of my engagement ring.  Luckily I found the diamond but since my finger gained some weight over the years it would not budge from my finger.  Terry had to cut it off my finger.  I cried and he promised to get me another. 

Well I'm still having coughing fits but I do feel better.  Thanks again for all your well wishes.

One last note.  Last week on Facebook I noticed that Aurifil threads had some new colors that they were looking for names.  So I spent a pleasant half hour naming the threads.  They picked one of my suggestions to vote on.  #4653.  I named it "Salsa Verde".  They chose 3 out of the hundreds that suggested names.  Everyone gets to vote on their favorite name.  The winner gets some free thread.  So if you have nothing better to do.  Check it out.

Wishing you a quilty day.

Hugs, Cat







6 comments:

Betty Lou said...

Love your 15 minute scrap blocks but you take care of yourself. If you lost your balance it must be related to your cold and congestion. Glad you found the diamond.

Cheryl said...

I will be adding a handle to my basket as well when I get around to making it. You take care...glad you found your diamond. Great AAQI quilt!

Lori said...

What a bummer about your ring. A new one will be good, but not the same.

Feel better soon!

Allie said...

Love the basket! I'm not a traditional quilter at all, but I appreciate the beauty of them! The 15 minutes play sounds like my kind of day, lol...love your little Hope quilt. I'm so sorry to hear you fell hon, I hope you weren't hurt, and I'm glad you were able to find your diamond. Hopefully you'll be able to get a setting very close to the original. I hope you feel better fast!

Mama Pea said...

Cat, I love your 15 minutes to play blocks! So sorry about your ring, but so happy you found your diamond. Congrats on having one of your names picked for the voting on Aurifil! I tried to enter some names, but the ones I could think of were already taken by the time I went to enter. I hope you win!

Linda said...

Basket block is so pretty!! Sorry about your ring, but thank goodness you found the diamond. I hope you are feeling better.