Sunday, June 5, 2016

Gwennie...

...Inspired Medallion Round Robin Revealed

Time to show the center block.  But first....



This is the doodle I did for what I wanted my center block to look like.  




Then I started by cutting out  freezer paper templates.  I folded the paper in half then cut away.  Nothing was drawn out on the paper.  I just picked up scissors and looked at my drawing and started cutting away.



And here is what I came up with.  Unfortunately the bird didn't make it into the final block.  My block is 12 x 16 finished.

Today Cynthia at Wabi-Sabi Quilts is revealing what our next round will be.


"Childhood:

Something that reminds you of your, your parents, your children's childhood.

Examples Cynthia gave are:

Triangles representing apple cores from when you learned to make an apple pie
Checkerboard representing the board games played as a child
Ocean waves remembering the beach...appliqued whales
Anything that brings back a treasured childhood memory.

I know what I'm doing...can't wait to see what you are going to make.

I'm linking up with Lori at Humble Quilts.  Hope to see your center block there.

I so enjoyed seeing all the basket blocks that everyone made.  It inspired me to make another block.  This one is pieced and definitely out of my comfort zone.


I call this one Gwennie 2 and am going to link up on Lori's blog.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hugs, Cathy


26 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Terrific center and I'm glad you included some "process" shots!

Béa said...

I too love the process and your block look wonderful.

Lori said...

Adorable! My bird was an afterthought because I thought it felt unbalanced!

CecileD said...

Thank you for sharing your drawing ! I have done the same method :)
Your basket is beautiful ! I love it !!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wonderful process post and beautiful basket block for the center of your quilt. I will have mine posted tomorrow and will link up, too.

Magpie Sue said...

Waving back at MI from WA! I grew up in the palm of the state. I love the way your basket turned out, especially the tulips. Hopefully one or more birds can be included later on in the process. ;- )

Karen said...

Well done! The bird would have been on the small size to applique and the basket design really did not need it though I do like birds on quilts.

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

Awesome block to start!! And I have the feeling that I'm caving and joining in, too, after seeing everyone's inspiring work!

Monica said...

This was a great approach, too, with the free cut freezer paper. Everyone has a different way of making it their own. It looks wonderful. On to month 2!

gayle said...

What a beautiful block! You've got me wanting to make a whole quilt with that style of baskets. I'm looking forward to what you do next!

Allie-oops Designs said...

WHAT!!!!!!! You just cut that??? Oh my gosh girl can't tell you how impressed I am...I would love to be able to do that. Your block is just gorgeous!! I can't wait to see what you do next!

Janet O. said...

Great looking center block. I can't believe you cut that freehand!!

Danice G said...

Beautiful, Cathy. 'Love this block :)

Needled Mom said...

Great block. It will be the perfect center.

Cathy said...

Since I'm not an applique person it's nice to see how everyone approaches their applique. It's nice w/o the bird. Maybe birdie will fly into another round.

Kyle said...

You designed a great center block. I like the fun size perspective between the basket and flowers. Sweet.

Sharon said...

I love your basket! It's fun to see your process. And a great flower bouquet design. Bye bye, birdie! Maybe he'll show up in another round?

Martha said...

It's so fun seeing your process and the sketch. Your basket is adorable -- love those tulips!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Love seeing the process and love the blocks!

Anonymous said...

I love this! I have a bird that didn't make the final cut either. Maybe I will add it later!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Seeing you design your own template as Gwen would encourage, is inspiring. I love your block.

Rebecca in AK said...

They are both great basket blocks! I really love your appliquéd one! After seeing everyone else's I have been thinking about trying another one.

Sandi said...

Love both your blocks, I shared my first design early back on May 17th and also shared my design process.

Then over the weekend I did two more versions that I shared on Monday, it along with a third post last night to share my friend Ethel's basket are both on the link party.

This group is getting big!

Sue said...

Love your Gwennie inspired block. My bird has flown away also, but I think she's coming back today. haha! :-)

Nancy said...

Both baskets are great but I especially like the first one. The basket fabric is perfect and the green fabrics for the leaves is such fun. I'm eager to see what your first border looks like.
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Barb said...

cute basket of flowers - freezer paper patterns are the best. I learned how to cut them from Gwen. so easy and reusable!