Monday, March 21, 2011

Where's the Sun...

It was out this morning but quickly left.  Horrible thunderstorms last night.  It was hard to sleep with all the thunder and lightning.  Cold, damp and dreary out.  A good day to quilt.

I made a few things yesterday.  The newest Barbara Brackman Civil War block and I redid block #1 of the Farmer's Wife quilt.  Then I made block #2.  I'm going to try and make 2 blocks a day.  So later on I will work on #3 and #4.

I've been enjoying Victoria's blog " Bumble Beans" quite a bit lately.  http://bumblebeansinc.blogspot.com/  Then I noticed she had another blog called "15 Minute Play" http://www.15minutesplay..com/ .  She has inspired me.  She takes bits and pieces of scrap fabric and makes a beautiful quilt block.  So I started sewing my pieces together with the idea that I would be making a piece of fabric, cut it up and make a quilt block.  However, once I got the bits and pieces sewn together I loved it just the way it was.  I trimmed the block to 9 1/2".  My husband really liked what I had done.  So I went on to make another.  I'm going to make a bunch for a quilt and put them together using sashing.  These are pieces of fabric I would have normally thrown out.

While browsing yesterday I found another neat idea at Love, Laugh, Quilt.  http://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/  Beth is asking for donations of blocks to be put together for the people of Japan.  She has the directions on her blog and will email where to send the blocks.  Here are the 2 blocks I made.  Simple, fast and I used more of my scraps.  So go check out her blog and them make a couple of blocks.

Wishing you a quilty day.

Hugs, Cathy

7 comments:

Yvette said...

Great CW blocks!

We have the same weather! Ours is supposed to clear up this afternoon and then come back on Wednesday.

Impera Magna said...

I sent off my blocks to Beth this morning... what a terrific thing for her to do!

It's 78 degrees here today... bright and sunny... and tomorrow it's supposed to be warmer... March and it already feels like we went straight to summer...

Allie said...

Wasn't the storm last night something? We had sleet along with the thunder and lightening. Love your blocks - so good of you to make some for Japan!

Mama Pea said...

I like your scrap blocks! We had a lot of thunder and lightning, too. Lots of rain and a little hail mixed in. Definitely dreary!

Lori said...

Nothing like a fun variety to keep the quilting interesting! I love all of your blocks.

Cheryl said...

We had a storm yesterday also, but I didn't get as much done as you did. Love all the blocks.

Diana and LaDonna said...

All your blocks look great! I've been saving all my little pieces of fabric. Some go into string quilts, but mostly they go in a bag for later!

LaDonna