Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rain, Sleet, Snow...

Repeat as needed....or not.  But that is all it has been doing for the last couple of days.

But like I've said before, it makes for a good day to stay in the sewing room.

I finished another 4 Farmer's Wife blocks.  I'm having fun making these blocks.  The book came with a CD of templates for the blocks.  However there is only one template per sheet.  That gets to be pretty expensive trying to print all the templates for each block.  So instead of using the CD I've been drawing the blocks using EQ5 and then printing up the Rotary Cutting directions.  It is more accurate than printing templates.  These are blocks 3, 4, 5 & 6.

I made another 2 blocks for my Log Cabin Bow Tie Quilt.  I have been using up so many scraps. 

 I now need to purchase some more Vellum paper (I'm out) so I can print up more foundations patterns.  I used to use light weight paper but I find vellum is easier to see through when paper piecing and it tears easier.

This morning when I was reading all the blogs I follow I saw a beautiful antique quilt on Pepper Cory's blog. (http://quiltflapper.blogspot.com/) The blocks look like they are Crazy Quilt Blocks.  In the center of each block was an appliqued folk art basket.   I've been making my own version of a crazy quilt blocks by sewing bits and pieces of fabric together.  I call them Freestyle Blocks.   I showed you 2 the other day.  Today I made another 2.  I wasn't sure what to do with them until I saw Pepper's quilt.  I think I will sew the blocks together and then do some folk art applique on the quilt.  I really like the idea of the baskets.  But we'll see.  You really need to check out her quilt.

I finally finished Sunflower Quilt #1.  I trimmed it up and sewed on the binding.  I need to sew it the back and then I'll show you the finished quilt.  And I'm finally working on the March block for Henrietta Whiskers from Bunny Hill.  With so much hand work I don't have a lot to show.

Wishing you a quilty day.

Hugs, Cat

7 comments:

Diana and LaDonna said...

I've heard from other people that they don't like that the Farmer's Wife prints out only one template at a time. That's one reason why I haven't bought the book. The other being, templates? Really? Good job on figuring out a better way with EQ5! I really like your log cabin bow ties! Very nice! You're getting a lot done!

LaDonna

Mama Pea said...

I'm so far behind on Henrietta. I only have month one done! LOL! I HATE this weather! Hang in there!

Miki Willa said...

I really like all your blocks. I am a big fan or Victoria's 15 minutes play, so I am drawn to the last four. The colors are great. I found your blog through Thread Head, and I am glad I did.

Yvette said...

I love your blocks!
I really enjoy working on my FW quilt, sometimes I want to drop all my projects and work on it exclusively.

Allie said...

I think you're really smart to do the blocks in EQ and use the rotary cutting directions! The blocks all look great, and I love the idea of adding folk art applique to the last ones.

I wish it would stop raining - and icing - and we could see the sun again!

Cheryl said...

Your FW blocks came out great. Good idea! I am simply drafting the ones I can. I will try your idea for the ones I cannot.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

All your blocks are beautiful. My favorite is the blue and white basket block. I love baskets!