Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Dearest Boy and More

I've go too much stress in my life to add more stress through quilting.  Quilting calms my stress.  So when it came to this month's Dearest Boy block I had to do something different.

I chose an eight pointed block.



Speaking of stress...  This month's UFO, Jan Patek's Front Porch quilt is an epic fail.  I now remember why I put this project up.

I had previously made all the blocks except for the upper right block with the boat and whales and the bike block.


 I finished the Whale block....



I love the whales.  When it came to the bike block I realized this is why I had put this project up in the first place.  3 times I tried to make this block and 3 times I failed.  So this UFO is going back up on the shelf.  I'll try again another time.


I've chosen my UFO for May.



I'm going to make a few changes but otherwise I really love this quilt.




I have 5 blocks made, and I need another 7.  Since it is pieced I should have no problem finishing up this UFO.


Here's an update on my Sally Post blocks.



I now have 20 blocks made.  16 to go.  I work on this in my leisure and it's coming along nicely.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have found something you liked.


Hugs, Cathy

14 comments:

Lori said...

Why not find another block to replace the bike?
You've come so far! I think I remember my bike being a bit wonky, but there's enough going on in the quilt that it isn't noticeable.

Karen said...

There is nothing wrong in making a less stress free block for Dearest Boy or any other quilt. Your choice of star block is a good substitute.

I think I would have trouble too with those bicycle wheels. You could just make the circle shapes from one fabric and be done with it.

belarmina said...

Cathy bonitos trabajos. Mejor sin estrés.
Tu Sally se ve bien, me encanta esta colcha.
saludos

Needled Mom said...

That bike does look like a challenge. Love your Sally blocks and the Bear Paw blocks.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Why not skip that bike block entirely and make more flowers, stars, another basket, or a bird or two with those colors? Stress includes putting it back on the shelf to nag at you further . . . (just my own opinion).

Robin said...

Cute new header! I recently made a number of blocks like the wheels on the bike. I would love to help if that would move you along to a finish. It's such a cute quilt, I hate to think of it back on the shelf. Let me know.

julieQ said...

My block is so, so, SO far from perfect...but I am going with it! I just love all your projects...so pretty! I have some UFO's like that...I just get stalled out and can't get past a certain point~

sandi s said...

I’m loving all your pictures!! I love your new project, the bear hug. So cute. Hugs,

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I like it all—especially the Sally Post progress. When I made the bike, I threw away my first attempt at the small wheel. If I remember correctly, the large wheel pattern had seam allowances included but the small one didn’t—or something like that. The instructions are a bit sketchy. I agree with Lori that you need to find a way to finish!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Your 8 point star is perfectly pieced and makes a great substitute. I think we've all made substitute block for DB because they were too difficult or just weren't liked. I like Karen's suggestion for the bike of just using circles of fabric, its sad to think of it being left on the shelf. Love your Sally blocks and your new project.

Kyle said...

Keep things stress free, but your quilt really is so close. I bet you can find another block you like to replace the bike. :O)

Janet O. said...

I totally agree with your opening paragraph, and I think you chose a good substitute block.
I like Lori's suggestion for your front porch quilt. Do another sub. :)
The whimsicals pattern is really fun. I love bear's paw blocks and the added bears are a cute touch.
Your Sally Post blocks are looking really good!

Julierose said...

Why not make a small dresden instead of the bike--the rest of the quilt is so lovely...just leave it out...none of us needs more stress...hugs, Julierose

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

The bicycle would take a good wedge ruler that will make the block the correct size! If I were closer I would help! But your projects are looking good - Like the Bear Paw and the new UFO! Hugs