Monday, January 28, 2019

Some Updates

 I showed you a quilt a while back that I wanted to make.


The quilt is called "Folk Flowers" and it is from the Need'l Love book called "Folk Heart Threads".  At the time I had 3 blocks made shown below.


I have been working on the blocks off and on in between all the other projects I've been working on.  I also said I was going to use a similar fabric for the setting squares as I used for the background.


I wasn't real impressed with it.


So I went back to the drawing board and found a black fabric I liked and cut out the setting squares, and setting triangles.  Looks much better.  There is much more to do on this quilt.  3 more borders and one of them has more applique.


I've been keeping up with Pat Sloan's weekly quilt along "Flower Bouquet".  


This is Block 3 called "Planting Guide".  Don't look too close.  I sorta flipped the placement but didn't notice till I was done.  I like it anyway.


This is Block 4 called "Gazebo".  There will be 20 blocks in all and the patterns are posted every Wednesday.


And finally the last photo is of a finished top.


This is a lap quilt I made using a Layer Cake.  I saw a tutorial on You Tube.  I call this quilt "Winter Half Log Cabin".  I have the backing cut out and have made the binding.  Now all I need to do is find the time to sandwich it and quilt it.

Thanks for stopping by on this cold, wintry snowy day.  It's 11 degrees out and it is still snowing.

Hugs, Cathy

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Love how you are setting your Folk Flowers--this will be so gorgeous hugs, Julierose

beth s said...

I just love those little flowers. That may be my next applique project!

Needled Mom said...

The black is so dramatic with the flowers. Very nice. Good to see you are keeping up with the block sewing. Your log cabin finish looks wonderful.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Love those Folk Flowers! The black is perfect for them. I like the Winter Half Log Cabin. And, the name is great!

Janet O. said...

I think your setting squares fabric for the Folk Flowers is a perfect choice--better than the original in the pattern!
Half Log Cabin looks great. I'm sure it will be nice and warm for cuddling under, even though those colors looks a bit icy. :)

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very nice work on all of your projects! Have a fun time quilting while it snows. We are waiting for the cold front - of course no snow but a lot of wind which I hate now! Have a good one! Hugs

Kyle said...

The black alternating squares make those folk flowers pop. Glad you changed your mind. It was a good decision.

Lori said...

Brrr! Stay warm and have fun sewing! I really like the darker setting squares with the flower blocks.
The half log cabin is wonderful!!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

I love your Folk Flowers - the squares are definetly the way to go!

Allie said...

*gasp* I adore that Folk Flowers quilt!!!!! I might have to do my own take on that....I like it much better with the black background, really sets them off. Your winter half log cabin also reminds me of waves coming into the beach, gorgeous!

Karen said...

What a difference the black fabric makes for the setting blocks! Good choice.