Friday, November 16, 2018

A Challenge Quilt

While going through blog posts the other day I saw Wendy at The Constant Quilter did a challenge quilt with members of her quilt guild.  She posted photos of her given fabrics and her challenge quilt.  I personally loved her quilt.  She wasn't goo fond of it.

This made remember a challenge quilt I had made years ago.  I've mentioned that I was a member of Interquilt (an Internet quilt guild).  They always had block swaps, mystery quilts and a Squishy Challenge.  They also had an Interquilt gathering planned at a different location once a year.  I only managed to go to one of these gatherings.  It was in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.  

This meeting also coincided with the Squishy Challenge.  I had always wanted to do this challenge and since I was going to the gathering I decided to do the challenge.

Everyone who was participating in the challenge were sent a piece of the same fabric by the judging committee.  Then you received 3 ugly fabrics from one of the contestants.


This is the back of my quilt.  The hanging sleeve is the fabric that everyone was given.  The three backing fabrics were the fabrics that were just sent to me.  We were allowed to add 2 additional fabrics.

This is the quilt I entered in the challenge.  I added the black and red fabric.  The pattern I used was a Jeanna Kimball pattern.  I fused the pieces down and then hand button holed stitch.  I hand quilted it in a cross hatch design.

I'm happy to say I won first place.  When we got home I entered my little quilt in my quilt guilds Quilt Show.  It was a NQA judged show.  I took first place in my division.

We have another snowy day in Michigan.  So I am off to get some sewing done.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Hugs, Cathy

10 comments:

Janet O. said...

You were certainly "up for the challenge"! You took a less-than-ideal fabric combination and turned them into something charming! I like the way you have fussy-cut bits of the original fabric to make it work for you. Amazing use of resources. I think had I been given those fabrics my mind would not have been able to envision a nice outcome. Great job, Cathy!

julieQ said...

That is awesome! Can’t tell that there ever an ugly fabric in there!

Kyle said...

Challenges can be challenging, but can, at times, stretch your imagination. I can't find any uglies in your finished quilt. Congratulations.

Karrin Hurd said...

I was a member of Interquilt too and went to a gathering in Arizona. I remember the squishy challenge. I have mine around somewhere.

Karen said...

Interesting that you gathered in Lancaster and that your challenge piece has a very Pennsylvania Dutch look. I like it very much. The colors are brighter and the applique pieces show very well.

Allie said...

Not surprised at the awards - this is a delight!!! Love it! Enjoy the snow, I'm glad I'm not driving today....lol. Glad that your eye is not damaged, hon!!

Needled Mom said...

Congratulations. You did a great job on it.

الرحمه للتنظيف said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
الرحمه للتنظيف said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Danice G said...

Congrats on the award. Really pretty quilt. It does have a Dutch inspired look.