Friday, December 15, 2017

EAL Block 3

EAL stands for the Early American Life quilt that Karen and I are working on.

Here is my block 3.



I have decided to do an easier approach to the applique.  The hearts at the bottom were suppose to be individual hearts.  I chose to trace around the hearts and turn them into one piece.  It works for me.

Here is a health care update.  I've been working really hard on my diet to get my sugar levels lower.  They were 245 in am and now are 165-180.  A significant change.  In the process I have lost 6 pounds.

Last Saturday I had a horrific nose bleed.  It last over 15 minutes.  Felt like crap afterward.  Sunday my taste was off.  Everything tasted bland.  Monday another nosebleed.  Later in the day my lip felt swollen.  I went to bed and woke up Tuesday with the right side of my face drooping.  My eye wouldn't close, I couldn't smile and I couldn't drink with out it dribbling out.  I thought I had a stroke but my arm was fine and felt okay.  Went to the ER and was diagnosed with Bells Palsy.  I have a hard time talking.  I have to keep putting eye drops in my right eye and wear a patch.  They put me on an aggressive steroid regiment for 25 days.  I was told it could take 3-6 months to get better.  Since I'm on the steroids I have to stay out of situations where there are lots of people because my immune system is compromised and I will be more prone to getting infections and diseases.  So no Christmas shopping.  Because of the droopy eye my vision is slightly blurry.  So no driving for the time being.  It is also curtailing my sewing.  Applique is tricky and I'm much slower.  But hey it wasn't a stroke.  I need to get plenty of rest so I'm watching old movies on TV, reading good books and getting a little sewing done.

My family is being very supportive.  They bring me food, call and check on me twice a day and take me to the doctors.  I feel blessed.

Thanks so much for stopping by and listening to my tail of woe.

Hugs, Cathy

13 comments:

Sandra said...

Great job on your applique' block. I think the hearts joined together look just fine. Six pounds down; that is terrific news. I would love to do that myself. I was sad to read about your not feeling well and all that you are going through. I will say a prayer for you to have a quick recovery. What a blessing to have a family that cares so much for you. I wish you a very Merry Christmas.

Needled Mom said...

Oh dear. That is not a fun diagnosis. I hope it is the three instead of the six months for you. Being so restricted is hard.

Your block is really pretty. I hope in time that the blurriness goes away and you can get back to your stitching.

julieQ said...

I love your quilt block so much! I am so sorry about your Bell's palsy...I have taken care of a number of like patients and they do well. Rest and recover...big hugs!!

sandi s said...

I’m so sorry to hear of your illness! I pray for you to have a good recovery. I really enjoy watching your quilts come along from both of you. I hope you can be back to stitching soon. Hugs,

belarmina said...

Cathy bonito y origonal bloque
Buen fin de semana

Lin McQ said...

I’m sorry sorry you’ve been stricken with Bells Palsey. A dear friend just came down with it as well. Exact same symptoms too. I pray it clears up quickly and you can get back to your regular routine.

Julierose said...

So sorry to hear you are so ill--hopefully your meds regime will take effect soon..rest and take it easy--happy to hear that you have a supportive family...sending out prayers your way for quick recovery hugs, julierose

Sue McQ said...

So sorry to hear this. Adding you to my prayer list for a speedy and smooth recovery. Blessings.

Ruth said...

I hope you have a speedier recovery than predicted. It definitely puts a crimp in your plans, but relaxing more and you have more time for reading and some sewing, which is good.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Nice job! I am so sorry about the BP! Let’s pray that it goes away soon. I have always been afraid of that happening since the late 1980’s when a few friends at work came down with it. Do not know what causes it - I always thought that it had something to do with the ears.
Take care!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Health problems are never good, and especially bad around the holidays. I hope your recovery is swift and complete. The quilt block is pretty.

Allie-oops Designs said...

What in the world - how did you get that!!! And you were doing so well with your sugar levels, hon! I am praying for you dear Cathy, and so glad it's not a stroke, but my gosh!!! Big big hugs!!!!

Lori said...

I hope you are starting to feel a bit better. Take care, relax and enjoy the holidays.