Sunday, July 23, 2017

Lots to Show

I've been busy.  Spending lots of time in my air conditioned sewing room.

I started with making 14 Churn Dash blocks for my Walnut Grove Sampler Quilt.
If you look real close to the block in the center of the first set of blocks you can see a sort of stripe fabric.  This is fabric from my Mom's stash that I inherited.  I try and use a little of it when I make a scrappy quilt.  It makes me smile when I see it.  



The next round of blocks will be 18 Friendship Star blocks.  This is going to be a large quilt.

I joined in on the Simple Summer Sampler sew along.  Here are blocks 3-6

The quilt was designed to be made with red and white fabrics.  I decided to go with a FQ bundle of Blue Barn fabrics by Laundry Quilts.


I told you in my last post I wanted to make a quilt designed by Linda Brannock called "Stripes".  So I pulled out my AccuQuilt 1 3/4" strip cutter and started cutting strips.


I'm going to need to cut lots more strips if I want to make a quilt large enough for my bed.  They blocks are 10" finished.  The first set of strips I cut I folded the fabric the wrong way so when I went to trim them to 10 1/2" I only got one piece from each strip.  I sewed the shorter strips together and trimmed them to 10 1/2".  Luckily you can't see the seams.

I finished Block D for my "Flowers" quilt.  I will be showing you it on the 30th.  This morning I picked out the fabrics for Block E, made the freezer paper template and ironed them on the fabric.  Later today I will trace and cut out the applique pieces.  I'm trying to get ahead in case I get to go visit my son in the UP.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you are having a peaceful Sunday.

Hugs, Cathy








8 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

You have been busy and are making great progress!

Karen said...

I like that you used a piece from your mother's stash. My mother no longer had any fabric when she moved in with us. She made quilt tops during the depression but did very little with quilting after that.

Julierose said...

I just love older fabrics--that one is so pretty --great that you can use her stash gems....
I like your stripes..this will be such a pretty quilt...hugs, Julierose

Ariane said...

These blocks all look great!! I can't wait to be off work tomorrow so that I can do some sewing!

Kyle said...

Using a piece of fabric from your mom's scraps is a lovely tradition. Have fun in the UP.

Barb said...

What great block projects you have going on. The churn dash block is a favorite of mine too and the vintage fabric from your Mom is so special!

Needled Mom said...

I love those Churn Dash blocks. What fun it is to use such special fabric in them.

Allie-oops Designs said...

Love all your blocks - but "Stripes" has captivated me!!!!! Love that SO MUCH!