Sunday, January 24, 2016

Busy, busy, busy...

When the weather gets cold and the snow flies I get busy in the sewing room.  My goal for each month is to pull a UFO from the to be quilted pile and get it quilted.

I found this one in the pile.  It is a wall hanging that I made from a Sew Along with Sarah V.



I thought it would be a good chance to try out some FM quilting.   I used my new sewing machine and the FM foot.  The center wasn't so great...but as I got used to FM again the top section was better and I really liked how the bottom section turned out.  I just quilted around the applique on the border us the FM foot.  It's a little wonky but it is finally finished and hanging on my sewing room door.


The other day I told you Hubby and I were going out for the day.  It snowed a little but not too much.  We went out to lunch at Applebee's.  I had a spinach salad with grilled shrimp and loaded potato soup.  Yum.   We left there and went to one of my favorite quilt shops "Linda's Country Quilts" in Davison, MI.  I bought some fabric to use for background on a new project I have in mind.  We left there and went to an Antique Mall.  I was disappointed.  Couldn't find anything that called out to me.  Just before we left I saw some quilt blocks that were folded and pinned together.  Turned out they were appliqued blocks.  Not old, but beautiful.


One of the blocks was already trimmed but the rest were not.  They are over lapping in the picture.  I love them and hope to put them together soon.


Like many of you I am working on the 365 Block sew along.  I have 20 blocks finished in both the color ways that I am doing.  I'm trying to make 5 blocks at a time.



I didn't notice that I had cut off the top blocks in this picture.  Oh well.  For the rest of the month I need to finish the borders on my Old Voices quilt, keep up with BOM's and find a new WIP to work on.

Thanks for stopping by.  Keep warm, safe and busy sewing.

Hugs, Cathy

11 comments:

Allie-oops Designs said...

What a cute little quilt, Cathy!!! Good for you on the FM, I've done it once and that was enough for me, lol. I love Linda's Country Quilts - haven't been in a couple of years, but oh the temptation in that store!!! Do you ever go to Mabelena's? Your blocks are pretty that you picked up, I especially like the one on the bottom right, I've never seen anything like that. Love your 365 blocks too!

Sue said...

Cathy - what a great find. The Applique Blocks. Lucky you!

Ray said...

As always love your work! And, I LOVE the blue little blocks!

Karen said...

Lucky find on the applique blocks. I am drawn to the red one in the bottom right hand photo. Are you going to stitch more blocks to go with these?

Lori said...

You are one busy quilter! I especially love the applique blocks!!

Kyle said...

Whew! January has been a productive month. Your 365 blocks are awesome and super cheer to you for keeping up. Love the applique blocks. I wonder why they ended up in the antique mall, especially if they aren't old. Don't you wonder what their story is?

Flickenstichlerin said...

Lot of sewing going on in your sewing room Cathy and on top ot all you have found finished quilt blocks. They are gorgeous.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Needled Mom said...

Darling little quilt! You have been busy, but it looks like a lot of fun projects.

Janet O. said...

What a wonderful find on the applique blocks! I really like the one that looks like a Christmas cactus.
I'll be rooting for you to be able to keep up with both of your versions of the 365 Block SAL. I wouldn't even be able to do one!

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Love your finished little quilt, Cathy! Thanks for quilting along with me. And the blue 365 blocks are inspiring me:)

Barb said...

what an amazing find at the antique shop! those are gorgeous blocks and you can use them in so many ways.
Cute little quilt and 2 great groups of blocks. your doing great with your 365 challenge!