Tuesday, July 17, 2018

A Beautiful Day


 Yesterday was absolutely beautiful.  The temps were in the 70's so it was a good day to do some site seeing. 

My parents retired and moved to the Upper Peninsula many, many years ago.  So my family has been in love with the area.  So much so for one member, my son Patrick.  He went to NMU and never came home.  

One of my favorite places is AuSable Lake.  To the left of this photo is a sand dune which is covered in grass.  When the kids were little there was no guard rail.  This is a drop off lake.  We would climb the sand dune then run down the hill, over the road, and dive in the lake at the drop off.





 Things have changed so much.  No more sand dune, no more swimming.  They closed the beach and closed the picnic area.

We left there and headed to Grand Marais.




 They have some beautiful houses up on the hill overlooking Lake Superior.  This one is my favorite.  I could be happy here.




 This is the Coast Guard Station.  It is now run by the National Parks Service.  There is a huge bay area.  In August they have hundreds of kayakers that come for a kayaking class and then they are taken out onto Lake Superior.  They open the High School for sleeping quarters.

Our final destination was 12 Mile Beach.  You drive down this old road that runs along Lake Superior.  We found a spot to pull over and this is what we saw.





The view was spectacular.

We climbed down the sand hill to the beach.


The beach is covered in driftwood that is thrown up on land during the many storms.  The shoreline is covered in stones and rocks.  We have spent many hours looking for Agates.

We had a great time.  We were so tired from all the walking on the beach but it was a good tired.

This morning when we got up it was a shock.  The temperature was 53 and its overcast.  So I plan on working on some applique.  Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer so we can go do some more exploring.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hugs, Cathy

8 comments:

julieQ said...

OH I would absolutely love going there! 12 mile beach...I would walk it all, and bring back more rock and treasures than I need for sure!!

Karen said...

Is the water very cold? I remember trying to swim in Lake Superior on the Wisconsin side and it was way too cold for comfort.

Kyle said...

I'm not sure if I could deal with the winters there, but the summers look beautiful!

Lori said...

How come they do not allow swimming? It looks so pretty and I can see how much fun it could be as a kid!

Needled Mom said...

That looks beautiful. Yes, that would be a sweet home up there with that view.

Allie-oops Designs said...

Any idea why they closed the lake for swimming?? That seems odd! Love that whole area of Michigan. But boy it takes a special person to live up there in winter, lol! I sure couldn't do it. I wonder if the quilt shop is still there in Munising. Have fun Cathy!!!

Janet O. said...

Such beautiful views! Oh, I would love to agate hunt with you on that beach!

Nancy said...

That beach looks so inviting and the lake is so blue! Beautiful. I hope your weather is/was good. The Coast Guard Station is an inviting building -- large enough to be a hotel! I wonder what the inside looks like.