Friday, August 11, 2017

A Day in the U.P.

In case you were wondering U.P. stands for Upper Peninsula.  The upper part of Michigan.

We finally got a chance to go to the UP to visit my son and his family.  We left last week on Thursday.  It was bright and sunny.  We got half the way to the Mackinaw Bridge and it started to rain...and it rained for the rest of the day, all night and into the next day.

No plans for Friday, we just took it easy.  Saturday we went for a ride and did some hiking.


We started out walking down to a one lane bridge that until 7 years ago was in use.




If you look closely you can see the new bridge.

We next headed to Lake Superior.




 This is a picture of Granite Island.  



There was a beautiful coast line.  This area used to be a State Campground until it got trashed.  It has since been closed.  People still camp there and it looks like they party hardy....




Off again we headed for Cannon Falls.  





Terry and I didn't make it all the way to the end of the walk.  His bad knee and my sinuses made us turn back.


On the walk back I saw this pretty yellow flowers.

And then the rains came again and that was it for our day in the U.P.

Back home on Monday.  Recuperating on Tuesday.  Sewing room on Wednesday.  


I made this using some left over Jelly roll strips I had from a prior project.  I really liked the way it turned out.  I have the backing and batting cut out and hope to get it pinned and ready for quilting this weekend.

Thanks for stopping by.  I'll leave you with one last photo.


Hugs, Cathy















13 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely trip photos...I like your zig-zag colors a lot--great use of jelly roll...hugs, Julierose

Sherrill said...

Ooo, such pretty pictures of the area. I've been up there a couple of times but I saw a story once on Pictured Rocks and want to get back up there again for a visit! Love your quilt!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Pretty pics, Cathy!! Haven't been myself since the boys were small. John usually goes every year to the Hiawatha Music festival, but he had federal jury duty this year, lol. Not that he had to show up, but it sure kept him home. Love your jelly roll quilt!

Kyle said...

I've never made it further than the soo, but visiting the UP is still on my list of places to go. Loved seeing your photos. Nice use of a jelly roll with your zigzags.

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

Sounds like us after we take a Tripp we have to rest to get over it

Karen said...

The only time I was ever in the U.P. was when I was a teen-ager. My parents had planned to spend some time in the area camping and exploring but my dad got sick and we headed home. And I might add, when we got home it was about 10 pm. My mother discovered the fridge had stopped working and everything in it spoiled. What a stinky mess. We ate in the basement for a couple weeks because the odor was not going away. There was a gas stove in the basement my mother used for canning.

Barb said...

what beautiful scenery. Looks like you had a great time.
Did you have Pasties?

Quiltdivajulie said...

The U.P. was one of my parents' favorite vacation destinations (I grew up in the lower peninsula). Superior and its coastline are magical indeed.

Janet O. said...

The U. P. looks like a beautiful place. My sister was in Michigan for a time, but I don't know that she ever made it up there. I know I didn't.
Love the scenery!
Your quilt from leftovers turned out very nice!

Anonymous said...

I love going up to the UP. I live in Wisconsin and it is a treat to visit that area. Porcupine Mountain is my favorite!

Jen said...

HI Cathy ,great photos from your trip and a lovely quilt top ,like how you used the jelly roll strips .

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Gorgeous photos. What a lovely place. I can almost smell the fresh air.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lovely pictures of the UP. It's one area I haven't investigated yet.