Monday, August 1, 2016

Gwennie Times 2

Time sure flies...

It is time to reveal the 3rd round of our Gwennie Inspired Medallion Round Robin.  I got to decide what this round would be....Log Cabin.  You could interpret any way you wanted.

I apologize for the wonkiness of my photos.  I need to tack down my design wall so it is smoother.



For Gwennie #1 I chose an abbreviated traditional Log Cabin block.  I set the blocks in an nontraditional setting.  I'm really happy how it is turning out.




Now for Gwennie #2.  With the exception of the basket block and borders all the fabrics are either batiks or hand dyes.  My border is a variation of a courthouse steps block.  I am a more or less traditional quilter so this design is out of my comfort zone.  However, I am getting more relaxed and comfortable working on this quilt.

We will be linking up with Lori at Humble Quilts this month.  

Now for the theme for August's round.  Katy at Katy Quilts has chosen "Stars".  
So jump on over there and here what she has to say.

I can't believe how time has flown.  We are starting round 4 and only one more to go.

I look forward to seeing what everyone has done with the Log Cabin theme.  I already know what I'm doing for Gwennie #1.  Not sure about Gwennie #2.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hugs, Cathy

23 comments:

Lynn Dykstra said...

Both are great! I love what the light logs are doing with the first quilt, and the dots of color in the log cabins of the second.

CecileD said...

Hello Cathy ! I don't know where goes my choice because I love your two versions !
Congratulations !

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's fun to see the side by side progress of your two very different quilts!

Karen said...

Both are very Gwennie in style and both are so different from each other.

gayle said...

I love both of them - so different from each other, but clearly related. The log cabins were a lot of fun to play with!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Both are superb! I just love the diversity in these two tops!

belarmina said...

Cathy los dos son preciosos,
el primero con la bola de nieve es mi favorito!!!
saludos

Lori said...

I loved the log cabin theme, Cathy, and love both of your quilts!

Sandi said...

Love both your variations, still working on finishing mine...ran out of time this month.

Allie-oops Designs said...

Totally amazing and inspiring, Cathy! I can't decide which I love best!!

Béa said...

Both versions are beautiful .

Nancy said...

I'm so impressed that you're making two quilts. Both look great. I like how they're the same elements and yet look so different.
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Ruth said...

I love your snow ball border! That's a really cute idea. I need to make a medallion block for my guilds September meeting and then will need to make borders every month until May on RR tops for other members. Last year was the first time I had ever done that and I didn't think I would want to do it again, but when I received my finished RR top back, I was so happy with it, that I decided to do it again - even though I agnonized over the borders. So, I love seeing what people come up with on this RR with Lori.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Both of your medallions are so fun! I can't wait to see your star rounds--lucky you to have a plan for at least one of them--I'm clueless--lol!

Kyle said...

Love the simplicity of the blocks. Your two quilts have a personality of their own.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I can't believe you (and several others) are making TWO . . . I am busy enough with just one. Like both of your versions!

Sharon said...

Both of these are looking great! I like how the light logs in the first quilt echo the snowballs in the previous round. And I like your version of L.C.s in the 2nd quilt.

Barb said...

great theme pick - your pieces look so fun

Quilteuse Forever said...

Both are great! Usually I prefer the more modern quilts, but here your first one is incredibly well-balanced and appealing!

Danice G said...

Both quilts are beautiful Cathy. The log cabin block is one of my favorites. Yes, how time has flown with the QAL. I am really enjoying this one :)

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

I LOVE both of your versions!!! And love your fabric choices, too. Can't wait to see your next rounds!

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

ps - I love that the Log Cabin block was chosen for this round!!!

Angie in SoCal said...

Love both of your versions. So fresh.