Monday, March 30, 2020

End of the Month

What a crazy month this has been.  I'm generally a home body.  I don't go out much.  I spend most of my time sewing.  But in the back of my mind I knew I could always run to the store or go visit friends and relatives.  But that has changed.  The hardest thing is when I realized I am one of the ones that are most susceptible to the virus.  One - I am 70 years old.  I don't feel it but they say I am a senior citizen.  Two - I am diabetic.  Three - I have high blood pressure.  Four - I just went through cancer treatments.

So I am staying in and trying to behave myself.  Not always easy because I like to shop on the internet....lol

Enough of that.  Let me share some projects.

1.  Celebrating Mary Brown.



I was scared of this block.  But I am quite happy with the way it turned out.  I was hoping to get an additional block made so I'd be caught up with Karen but I ran out of time.  

Be sure to stop by and see what KarenJennieRobinRebecca, and Nanette are up to.


2.  Mrs. Lincolns Quilt.


I am enjoying this quilt.  Stop by and see Juie to see her blocks.


3.  Derby House BOM.

Each month I receive fabrics and patterns for the month.



These are the pieced blocks.  They finish at 5".



This is the appliqued block.  This block is the reason I signed up for this BOM.  I can't wait to see what I get in the mail next month.


4.  Providence BOM.

This is a BOM I signed up for through Connecting Threads.  Each month I receive fabric and patterns for 2 different blocks.



Each block is 12".  This BOM is only for 6 months.


5.  Yankee Notions.



I am enjoying this BOM.  I bought the whole pattern from Barbara Brackman's website so I've been able to work on them early.

6.  March Mini Quilt.



I am enjoying changing the quilt on the hanger each month.  Now i need to decide what to make for the month of April.  I'm joining in with others and Wendy at The Constant Quilter. 


I bought a pattern from Temecula Quilts not realizing that it put my name in for a giveaway.  And guess what I won.  I won the book "Sisterhood of Scrapes".  I can't wait to get it. 


I hope you are doing well.  Doing the social distancing, washing hands and wearing masks when needed.  I am keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers. 

Thanks for stopping by.

Hugs, Cathy

18 comments:

Karen said...

I see you found some good fabric for the bird in the Mary Brown block. And good choices for the squirrel too. I looked at the next block design in line for me and it is a feathered star block. I have to think about how I want to put it together and maybe add an interesting fabric in the center.

You got a lot done this month. I can see why you ran out of time before you could do a 2nd "Mary" block.

The horse is my favorite block from the Derby House quilt you are working on but I also like the design that you have just done. Does the pattern set say why they chose the name for the quilt?

julieQ said...

I love your Mary Brown and Mrs. Lincoln blocks...just glorious! All your quilts are so pretty; you have made a ton of progress!!

Julierose said...

What lovely blocks you are fashioning...~ ~ ~ waving from
my house to yours Julierose

Allie said...

Praying you stay safe hon - wipe down your groceries when they come in the door. We're doing Kroger pick-up only now, and the local health food store delivered my vitamins to my door.
I really, really love that block with the squirrel!!!! What a fabulous job you did! I love them all, so very glad you have so many gorgeous projects to keep your hands busy!

Sandy said...

Your blocks are adorable, and you do such beautiful handwork!
Many of us quilters fall into that age group. I'm lucky to have no underlying health issues. Stay well my friend, and keep sewing!

Sandy said...

Oh... and love your March Mini! Fitting theme for these trying times

Rebecca in AK said...

You did such a fabulous job on your Mary Brown block! Well on all your projects really! Please stay safe! So confusing about this virus and how it is transmitted. We wonder about the packages we get in the mail, but it usually take at least a week for anything to get to us.

Robin said...

I love your Mary Brown block this month. That's the one I want to do next. It does look tricky. The Derby House quilt is coming along. The Japanese block is lovely. You sure have a lot going at the same time. There's no way to get bored.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You have accomplished so much and all are absolutely beautiful! We did a mixture of Clorox and water (lots of water) and each time a delivery comes it stays on the porch, I put all things on a table all get sprayed with it (no vegetables)

I wear latex gloves while unpacking anything, then when all is sanitized I wash my hands and up to my elbows. I do pickup, but there is nothing to sign and no close contact. I stay in the car and they load the wagon!

I think we all need to do this much when this is over and maybe we would be a healthier Nation. Of course, I always wear masks and sanitizer during the year as my immune system is crummy - no cancer (thank God) but it is just not a good immure system.

Keep up the beautiful work Cathy!

Kyle said...

Cathy, you have definitely accomplished a lot this month. Your Mary Brown applique is gorgeous. Your March mini is sweet and looks great your star hanger and Yes, you do need to stay at home and enjoy the uninterrupted sewing time that you are blessed to have. The same goes for all of us! :0)

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Congrats on winning the book! I just got my copy and it's a great book. Everything you are working on is so wonderful! I especially love your Celebrating Mary Brown--birds and a squirrel--too cute! I have the same feelings as you. I don't usually mind spending days on end at home, but knowing I can't leave is making me a bit anxious. Take care and have fun with your stitching.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Love the mini! Love that cross pattern. It is a perfect sign of hope that things will improve soon. Thanks for another great mini. Your blocks are sensational. I particularly love the Mary Brown blocks. Stay safe and healthy my friend.

Quilting Babcia said...

Love your little mini, and your other projects too. I understand your concern relating to the virus as we too are in our 70s and my husband has an autoimmune condition. We're planning on wearing masks when we have to go out for food or prescriptions now that we know the virus is in our little town.

Jennie in GA said...

You are one busy gal! Congrats on keeping up with so much. Your MB blocks are fabulous . AndI love that pretty Oriental flavored block!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I think your Mary Brown block is awesome - love the fabric you chose for the feather/tail of the bird. Yes, stay inside and get an A+ in social distancing! Your mini is very nice. I've been contemplating a "cross" design myself.

Nancy said...

Like you, I'm a homebody but miss knowing that if I need something I can just run out and get it. Here, we don't have policemen stopping to ask where we're going but for me it's like a code of honor to stay home except for essentials. Of course, when I do finally go out, I'll have a long list of essentials.
I think I would have been intimidated by the Celebrating Mary Brown block, too. Yours look phenomenal. I especially like the squirrel and the fabrics you chose.
I love your March mini quilt.
Congrats on winning a new book. Such fun!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful projects!

Lori said...

So many lovely projects you are working on. I"m glad you are staying safe!@!