Friday, August 30, 2019

A Journey Ends

I can't believe our Dearest Boy journey has come to an end.  The final block is the center cow block.


This block was a challenge for me.  The initial pattern was too small.  I ended up using a round tray to mark the circle.  My circle is not perfect but it is finished.



All my blocks sewn together.  All I need to do now is add the borders.  I'm not doing the border from the pattern.  I am going to use one fabric for the narrower side borders and a different one for the top and bottom borders.

Be sure to check out Karen'sJulie's, and Carole's blogs to see how they are coming along.

I have a couple of finishes to show you.



I got my 9 patch quilt quilted and bound.  Well almost bound.  I still have a bit of binding to sew down.




This is my Gwennie Medallion quilt that I did with Lori at Humble Quilts.  I made 2 quilts.  A modern version which I machine quilted and this more traditional version.  This one I hand quilted.  And it took me a while to finish it.  I need to make a label for it and then bind it.  I'm so happy with the way it turned out and that it is finally finished.  And it was so much fun to be apart of the designing team.


Now that Dearest Boy is done Karen and I have chosen the our next sew along.  "Celebrating Mary Brown".  It is a very large (90" x 90") mostly appliqued quilt.  We will be starting in September.  We will be happily joined by Nanette at Chopin - A Passionate Quilter and Robin at I Like to Create.  To start out we will only be making one block a month.

I will be joining Nanette in another sew along starting in October.  Kim McLean's "Lollypop Trees".  This is a little out of my color comfort zone but I've been such a fan of this quilt that I just had to make it.


So I'll have lots to keep me busy in the future.  Keep stopping by to see how the sew alongs are coming.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hugs, Cathy

12 comments:

julieQ said...

I love your heifer...darling!! Wow, your whole quilt is all together! I love it...and yes, the pattern was wrong again, so I had to make a few trips to Kinko's to make the cow smaller to fit in the circle.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

How now brown cow! The block we have all been waiting for and it is beautiful! Congratulations on finishing your Gwennie quilt. I love both of yours. Mine went out to a fire victim in California and she loves it. The Celebrating Mary Brown quilt is such an ambitious project. I look forward to watching your progress. As for the Lollipop trees, I have loved that quilt since I saw the original antique back in the 1980's. It is on my "someday" list!

Karen said...

Hurray on getting through the making of the cow block and for getting all the blocks sewn together. I like your choice of blue for the ring. I have to re-make one of my blocks before getting everything put together. And I keep thinking about what I want to do for the borders.

Your Gwennie medallion style quilt looks good. And hand quilted! I had forgotten that you made two quilts.

Lori said...

The center block/cow is wonderful!!
I want to get into my sewing room!!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like your quilt, lovely! Mary Brown is a very pretty quilt, have fun!

Kyle said...

What a great finish and to have all the blocks put together. It's beautiful. There is no rest for you. Two new awesome quilts to start. Working with others does help to keep you motivated. It will be fun to follow your progress.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You have accomplished a lot! Like your Cow! Dearest Boy was not an easy one. Now Mary will be a bit more complex, but fun to do together!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your cow blocks completes your Dearest Boy top so beautifully - so charming. But also what a treat to see your second Gwennie top - great job on that and so special to hand quilt it. Mine is in storage in NH as it didn't make the cut when we moved.

Barb said...

The cow centerpiece is so fun. Great block based quilt. Your colors are great.
Sweet nine patch and your Gwennie SAL is wonderful. Great borders
fun post!

Janet O. said...

I enlarged the photo to get a closer look at your cow, and it is fun to see all the texture your fabric choices create.
The blocks look so good together. What an accomplishment!
A simple 9-patch is always a favorite with me.
Your second medallion is gorgeous, and a real treasure with the hand quilting!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Wow wow wow Cathy!!! Your cow is gorgeous and I can't believe that you've put all of your blocks together - Congratulations!!! I can't believe how much sewing you have managed to fit in, such a busy bee. I'll look forward to your next adventure with Mary Brown.

Jennie in GA said...

Dearest Boy turned out great!! Love the simple 9 patch. Sometimes simple really makes your heart sing.