Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Did You Make a New Years Resolution?

I did.  In fact I made 2. 

 The first was to loose some weight this year.  I started my diet on New Year's Day.  I have a free app on my phone called "My Fitness Pal".  You put in your current weight and your target weight.  I wanted to loose 2 lbs. a week.  The app tells you how many calories a day you can eat.  If you do any type of exercise it adds calories available for the day.  I enter into the program all foods I eat and it tells me how many calories are left.  At the end of the day it tells me if I continue to eat this week I will weight xxxx in 5 weeks.  So far so good.  In two weeks I have lost 4.8 lbs.  I'm hoping this is going to work for me.  I will let you know how it goes.

Now to the 2nd resolution.  I decided that I had to finish 2 UFO's before I started a new project....Yeah like that was going to happen.  I already broke that resolution.

I started 2 new projects and ended up with 3 new projects.

The first project is this...


I first saw this pattern on Pinterest.  Eventually I found the website.  The designers name is Marcie Patch.  She has had patterns published in magazines, including my favorite magazine, Primitive Quilts and Projects.

I decided to make just the center 4 blocks which would be 12" finished.  I am going to hang it on my table frame.  


I chose my usual Country colors.  The blocks are so sweet.  They are each 3 1/2" unfinished.

I decided to hand applique the birds rather than do the fusible applique the pattern called for.


I get my applique ready by first tracing the pattern onto freezer paper.  I then cut out the patterns on the drawn line.  The freezer paper pieces are then ironed on to the front side of the fabric.  Be sure to put the the freezer paper shiny side down.


I cut the applique pieces from the fabric approximately 1/4" from the edge of the freezer paper.  This is the fabric I turned under while doing my applique.  I then baste the applique pieces to the background square.  I  have tried to needle turn the fabric but have never had much success.  Instead I use a toothpick.  I keep just the tip in my mouth.  The moisture on the toothpick seems to grab the fabric easier while turning it under.  


As you can see by blocks are opposite of the pattern.  That's because the pattern was set up for fusible and the templates were backward.  I am in the process of sandwiching this little quilt and am going to hand quilt it.

My second project turned into 2 projects.

While on vacation last October I picked up a new ruler.


It is called a Hatchet template.  It was a little expensive (around $16.) but I love it.  Since charm squares are so popular and I have bought more than my share I needed something for a quick and easy project.


This works with 5" charms.  You lay the ruler on the charm square, matching up corners and then you cut 2 corners off using a rotary cutter.  What is so great about the template is they have written on it what size square to cut to turn this into a hatchet block.  A 3 /12" square cut diagonally in half.



There was an odd number of charms in the pack I used.  So I had 4 blocks left over.  They will go on the back.  I came up with 2 different layouts.  I am leaning toward the diagonal set.  It will be approximately 25" square and will make a nice wall quilt or table quilt.

Now here is where the next project came in.  When I cut the corners off when using the hatchet template I measured the straight edges of the corner (which were 2 3/4") and cut background squares that size, cut them in half diagonally and made half square triangle blocks.



I started laying out the blocks in a broken dishes pattern.  But you know I've made quite a few broken dishes quilts lately.  I changed the layout to a chevron pattern and am really happy with it.  When finished it will measure approximately 15" x 17".

The colors for these 2 quilts is a little out of my comfort zone as I usually use country colors and reproduction fabrics.  This year I am going to try and broaden my horizon as far as fabrics I use.  However, I still want to keep most projects scrappy looking.

So one resolution kept and one mishap.  After I finish these 3 projects I'm hoping to get back on track and finish some UFO's.  But don't hold me to it.

Let me know how your resolutions are going.

Hugs, Cathy

3 comments:

Carrie P. said...

congrats! on the weight loss.
I love that little quilt and what a neat ruler. Never seen that before.

Jen said...

Love your new pattern and book.It will look lovely on the frame.The chevron quilt and fabric choice is great. Thanks for the tip Cathy for the fitness app. I am going to put it on my iPad. You are going well with it.

Maureen said...

Sometimes you just have to start some new projects! I think it is fun to work on completely different projects at once. It keeps things interesting!