Monday, May 2, 2011

Time for change!

Nothing to show today.  Working on hand work, which is sometimes slow going.

Time to change my header picture.  Needed a change.  Although spring hasn't sprung in the Upper Peninsula yet I want to change my header picture to one taken by the lake a few years ago.  We had a very rocky shore  and there were a variety of wild flowers that grew among the rocks.

Speaking of rocks.... When my children were small we used to spend time with my Dad up north.  He had so much more vacation time than my Mom did, so Dad would take me and my kids up north for a week or two to his place on Big Lake Manistique.  Every winter the storms would push rocks up on our shore.  Every summer Me, Dad and the kids would start our vacation picking rocks trying to clear the shore.  One summer we worked for a week picking rocks and then Dad brought in a truck load of sand to make a beach.  He was so proud.  He brought my Mom up the next week to surprise her but instead he was surprised.  A storm had hit the lake while he was gone and had washed away all the sand and brought in more rocks.  Needless to say he never brought in sand again.

Many years later when I moved up north to take care of my Dad, my kids would come visit with their kids.  The grand kids would always complain about the rocks.  They suggested that we all spend time removing rocks.  My kids loudly vetoed this.  lol. 

I do miss living on the Big Lake, but I certainly do not miss the snow.  They are having an unseasonably long winter there.

Thanks for listening to my reminisces of many years spent on the Big Lake.

Wishing you a quilty day.

Hugs, Cat

6 comments:

Linda said...

What a wonderful story.

Carrie P. said...

Sweet memories and I do like the new header.

Mama Pea said...

Nice story. We're having a long winter down here, too, huh? Good luck with your hand work. Nice and relaxing....

Allie said...

I really do love your new header picture. No, I wouldn't want to be up there in snow....but in summer it's heaven! My cousin on Lake Huron used to have a very sandy beach, but after so many years, the rocks have come there too....but once you get past them, the sandbar goes on forever.

Lori said...

Fun memories!

Terry said...

Love the new header picture! Great story too! Thanks for sharing it! :0)