Thursday, February 16, 2017

Sunny and Cold

We haven't had much sunshine lately, mostly gray skies.  So it is so good to see the sun and blue skies.

I've been fairly busy but I can't show everything.  I just finished the last of the blocks to be tested for Quiltmaker Magazine.  They are for the next issue of 100 Blocks.  I also tested 2 additional blocks for a different group.  So I made a total of 4 blocks this last weekend for a total of 15 blocks that I tested.

Now for what I can show you.


 I finished 4 more friendship blocks.  I now have 20 made and only 162 to go.  Good thing I'm in no rush.



Last night I finished Sally Post block #11.  I have block 12 prepped and ready to go.



I started working on Barbara Brackman's Yankee Diary.  Here is block 1.  I love how it turned out.  I love working on quilts that have both applique and piecing.


I also quilted another block on my Westering Women quilt.  Again slow and easy.


I was going through all my project boxes and came across a quilt designed by Lee Heinrich called Cross-Terrain.  I didn't realize that I had the entire quilt cut out, a few blocks sewn and just waiting for me to get around to finishing it.


Each blocks is made of 4 units.  The blocks will not be pieced with all 4 units made of the same fabric.  They will be made using 4 different fabrics.  I just layed this out so you can see what the block will look like. 


The blocks are made using a jelly roll.  I am using a Fig Tree Jelly Roll.  I am using muslin for the back ground.


I have pieced enough units to make 16 blocks.  And I need to make enough units to make an additional 20 blocks.

The pattern was first published at Moda Bakeshop in October 2011.  If you would like the free pattern it can be found here.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you have found some inspiration to finish up some UFOs.

Hugs, Cathy



8 comments:

Karen said...

Your header picture looks oh so cold! I will wish for you some sunshine and spring like weather.
You have been very busy with block making. Your applique blocks are what catch my eye.....probably because I am always on the lookout for ineresting applique blocks and projects. I want to do the Brackman block but am busy on other projects right now.

Connie said...

Everything looks so good and it's keeping me inspired to keep my sewing/quilting hands busy and not allow laziness to creep in to stay (which I do allow sometimes). Have a happy quilty day!

Janet O. said...

I admire how well you stay with some of these larger projects. Maybe that is why I do minis--I have no patience! : )
Had to go look at the Cross-Terrain pattern to see what you meant. That will be a fun finish!

Kyle said...

Good use of those cloudy day. You've gotten so much done!

Rebecca in AK said...

You have been busy! I really like your Friendship blocks. Your Yankee Diary block looks a lot like mine! Love those colors. Cross-Terrain looks interesting. Fun to find a quilt all cut out and ready to sew!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Thanks for the inspiration! Now can you send me a few more hours in the day? Hope your week continues to be sunny!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Hope you enjoyed today, Cathy, 68!!! I cleaned my car without a jacket or sweater, lol! Oh that sun felt good today. I really love your applique blocks - and the friendship blocks. I don't think I've even unpacked my UFO's after 8 months of living here, maybe this summer!

Lori said...

It is beginning to feel like the never ending winter! I bundled up and went out for a walk today. Now I need to get as busy as you in the sewing room~! Great projects!