Monday, May 2, 2016

Gwennie Inspired Medallion Quilt Along

I am so excited to tell you about a new project.  Last week Lori @ Humble Quilts posted on her Facebook page asking if anyone would like to participate in a project she had in mind.  Of course I said yes.

The project involves 5 bloggers who are fans of Gwen Marston.  We will be making a Medallion Round Robin quilt.  We will not be mailing our quilts out but will be working on the rounds ourselves.  Each month one of us will be responsible for coming up with a theme for our quilt.  This month we will be working on the center medallion.   Lori has chosen baskets for the theme.

We will be posting pictures the first Monday of each month to share our quilts and let you know what the theme is for the next round.  You are all invited to join in on the fun.

Be sure to check out our blogs to see what we have come up with.




I have been a big fan of Gwen Marston for years.  I took a class with her about 15 years ago and learned so much.  



This is the quilt I made in her class.  All free form applique.  Not templates




And this is the book I am using for inspiration.  


I hope you will join in on the fun.  Come back next month to see what the theme will be for the next round and see what we have made for our center medallion.

Thanks Lori for coming up with such a great project.

Hugs, Cathy

PS:  Don't forget about the giveaway I am having for a copy of Quiltmaker Magazines 100 Blocks Vol 13.  Enter Here  

10 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I have never taken a class with Gwen Marston but can hear her "voice" in her books. Looking forward to some liberated quilting and inspiration! Your free form applique is darling!

Lori said...

Love your free form basket!

Karen said...

I like the border of squares surrounding the basket. I like that it is sort of a dot/dash type thing.

Randy D. said...

Oh your basket is wonderful!!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I am so excited about being one of the "Gwennies" for this project. I look forward to seeing all of them!

Rosa said...

Fantastic.Well done!

Rebecca in AK said...

I am going to join in! Sounds like a lot of fun. Gwen's Liberated Baskets have been on my to do list for a very long time. It will be so exciting to see what everyone comes up with for their medallion center. Love you applique quilt!

Janet O. said...

Very fun--and I love the floating square border. : )

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Cathy,
this sounds absolutely exciting, you all will have such wonderful quilts. Great idea.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Kyle said...

It's going to be a fun project to watch and see where you all head.